Energy Safe Kids

Energy Safe Kids
Posted on 10/11/2018
This is the image for the news article titled Energy Safe Kids

Energy Safe KidsEnergy Safe KidsEnergy Safe Kids

Indian Lake fourth graders are now certified Damage Prevention Heroes!
Representatives from the National Energy Foundation and Vectren made a recent presentation on how to be safe inside and outside around sources of energy, particularly natural gas
. The representatives stressed keeping water heaters and furnaces in your home clear of clutter, avoiding gas meters and calling 811 before digging in your yard to check for and mark possible pipelines for gas (yellow flags), water (blue flags), sewer (green flags), cable (orange flags) or electricity (red flags).
Students also learned about the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and the sound and sights associated with a natural gas leak. They even got booklets and stinky stickers to educate themselves and family members on the smell of mercaptan, a harmless chemical added to natural gas to give it an unmistakable rotten egg odor.  
Students got a survey to take home to complete with their parents. If 80% of those surveys are turned in, ILES will receive a monetary grant.